Thursday, February 26, 2015

Outlook and Gmail


Juggling your district Exchange email and Gmail accounts in different windows?  Missing important Gmail email?  Here are some instructions for using Outlook to manage both your district Exchange and Gmail accounts.

By default, Outlook on district computers will setup the Exchange mail account (the @estigers.k12.mo.us email account) automatically.  Users can add other email services to Outlook as long as the email service offers IMAP or POP3 mail service.

Gmail in Outlook
Follow the instructions at https://support.google.com/mail/troubleshooter/1668960?hl=en to add Gmail accounts to Outlook.  Choose the option for IMAP instead of POP3.

Other Email Providers
Adding other IMAP and POP3 mail services to Outlook for a single managment point is possible.  Check with your email service provider for instructions on how to setup Outlook for their service.

Note:  Staff who use Outlook Web App will not be able to add other mail services to the Outlook Web app.

6 comments:

  1. I can't get this to work. When I follow the link above it takes me to a page where I select the IMAP option but then I just get the google changing color cursor as though it's "thinking" but it never progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terri, are you using Chrome for the browser?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't get this to work. When I use the link above it takes me to a page where I select IMAP. Then it just spins as though it's thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I did that first then tried Firefox. I could see the instructions in firefox but the IMAP option was already enabled and the "save changes" option was not an active button to click.

    ReplyDelete
  5. O.k. If you'd like for the tech department to look into this with you, submit a help request and a technician will be in touch. Thanks for trying!

    ReplyDelete